Reading Experiences of Nonnative-English-Speaking Students Majoring in English Language Teaching

DOI: https://doi.org/10.21070/jees.v1i2.445

Author (s)


(1) * Sri Fatmaning Hartatik   (IKIP Budi Utomo Malang)  
        Indonesia
(2)  Hernina Dewi Lestari   (IKIP Budi Utomo Malang)  
        Indonesia
(*) Corresponding Author

Abstract


This study attempts to synthesize the findings of an Indonesian case study on reading experiences of nonnative-English-speaking ELT students. The researchers examined 36 students of bachelor program students using a descriptive qualitative design. The finding revealed that 55.6% of the students spent 2-3 hours reading, 27.7% spent 1-2 hours reading, while the rest 16.7% spent less than an hour reading. In term of genre, 69.4% of the students preferred scientific reading genre while 30.6% preferred fiction. Regarding the mode of reading materials, 86.1% of the students used printed material and the other 13.9% used digital reading material. The finding of this study presented that 75% of the students liked to read materials in their first language while the rest 25% preferred to read reading materials in English. About the students’ preference of reading activities, the data showed that 63.89% of the students chose activities such as a combination of doing preview, giving keywords, scanning, skimming, giving clarification, asking and answering questions, and making conclusions while 36.11% preferred reading activities involving a combination of brainstorming, conducting survey, reciprocal teaching, doing evaluation, making inference, re-reading, thinking aloud, and having discussion as the reading activities. In term of the place to read, 50% of the students read at home, 27.8% read in the classroom, and 22.2% read at the library. About the reading experience, 63.89% of students were satisfied while the other 36.11% thought that their reading experience was insufficient.



Keywords

reading experience; nonnative-English-speaking students



Full Text: PDF



References


Alyousef, H. S. (2005). TEACHING READING COMPREHENSION TO ESL/EFL LEARNERS. The Reading Matrix, 5(2). Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.113.2024&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Arici, A. F. (2008). Pre-Service Teachersâ€TM Reading Tendencies: Implications for Promoting Reading. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 5(6), 645–652. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2008.645.652

Atakli, A. (2000). THE VIEWS OF CLASSROOM TEACHERS ON THE READING HABITS IN TURKEY TÜRKiYE-DE SINIF ÖGRETMENLERININ OKUMA ALIŞKANLIGI ÜZERINE GÖRÜŞLERI. Hacettepe Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 19. Retrieved from http://www.efdergi.hacettepe.edu.tr/yonetim/icerik/makaleler/1061-published.pdf

Bektas-Cetinkaya, Y. (2012). Reading Experiences of Nonnative-English-Speaking Preservice English Teachers: A Turkish Case. TESOL Journal, 3(1), 17–32. https://doi.org/10.1002/tesj.1

Creel, S. (2015). The Impact of Assigned Reading on Reading Pleasure in Young Adults. - Penelusuran Google. Journal of Research on Libraries & Young Adults, 5. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Impact+of+Assigned+Reading+on+Reading+Pleasure+in+Young+Adults.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Daisey, P. (2009). The Reading Experiences and Beliefs of Secondary Pre-service, 49(2), 167–190. Retrieved from http://scholarworks.wmich.edu/reading

ERTEN, İ. H., & Karakaş, M. (2007). UNDERSTANDING THE DIVERGENT INFLUENCES OF READING ACTIVITIES ON THE COMPREHENSION OF SHORT STORIES. The Reading Matrix, 7(3), 113–133.

Gilakjani, A., & Ahmadi, S. (2011). The Relationship between L2 Reading Comprehensionand Schema Theory: A Matter of Text Familiarity. International Journal of Information, 1(2), 142–149. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/openview/1a806ef4bc4664ca59a5dbe92cc99de1/1?pq-origsite=gscholar

Hill, S. (2012). Developing early literacy : assessment and teaching. Eleanor Curtain Pub.

Holdaway, D. (1997). The foundation of literacy. Sydney: Ashton Scholastic.

Kennedy, A. M., & Trong, K. L. (2010). Influence of the Home Literacy Environment on Reading Motivation and Reading Comprehension.

Oguz, E., Yildiz, A., & Hayirsever, F. (2009). Assessing reading habits of future classroom teachers in the context of their socio-demographic features. World Academy of Science, Engineering. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.308.4441&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Salim, H. (2011). Early years literacy program in Victoria: what can we learn? Retrieved from http://dro.deakin.edu.au/view/DU:30036798

Ӧgeyik, M. C., & Akyay, E. (2009). Investigating reading habits and preferences of student teachers at foreign language departments. International Journal of Language, Society and Culture, 28, 72–79.


Article View

Abstract views : 753 times | PDF files viewed : 449 times

Dimensions, PlumX, and Google Scholar Metrics

10.21070/jees.v1i2.445




Copyright (c) 2016 Journal of English Educators Society

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.